Sunday, March 18, 2012

Teach Yourself to Sew - Tutorial List


I've been teaching myself to sew as of late, putting to use a wonderful sewing machine that has only been collecting dust. I've avoided this moment for a long time by doing my sewing by hand... a very gratifying but time consuming process which is of no help when it comes to major projects. Because I'm teaching myself, I've turned to online sewing tutorials, and have found that they are amazingly useful and productive for steering me down the right path, aided with pictures and step-by-step explanations. Here are some of my favorites:


Online Sewing Class

On a different note, check out these tutorial lists for teaching yourself to crochet and for teaching yourself how to reupholster anything!



Let me know what sewing tutorials have been especially helpful to teach you to sew - I know I can use all the help I can get! My goal is to become proficient with my machine while avoiding a sewing class!

10 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for including my Sewing 101 post!!! VERY appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for all the links ! im a beginner in overall sewing frustrating in the beginning but i dont want to give up thankd again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you via Pinterest - becoming a follower! Thanks for putting all of this information in one place!

    Blessings,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for making this great list to reference!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this. I am self taught as well and could definitely use these links. The Sewing Machine 911 helped me to understand a lot of things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much.. Is there anywhere we can learn basics on cutting skirts, shirts etc

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for compiling all of these sites for us! I have a very basic Singer sewing machine, and I would like a site that gives great tutorials on maintaining it, short of just taking it somewhere to be serviced/oiled properly. I've probably had it for about 7 years, but have never had it professionally serviced. It's starting to "skip" stitches, and other than probably needing to get things recalibrated, I'm not sure how to fix it. Any help in this area is *much* appreciated! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My blog partner and I have videos on You Tube that you might like. She is a professional seamstress (sewologist as she calls it). She is self taught as well, so she has a lot of good short cuts. See You Tube channels, How To Love Your Home
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Howtoloveyourhome?feature=mhee
    http://howtoloveyourhome.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. well, this is brilliant! I'm learning how to sew, and this will be very helpfull :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for including my curtain tutorial!

    ReplyDelete